Since its publication in 1899, Heart of Darkness has been one of the most widely read books written in English. It has also been one of the most analyzed. Scores of literary critics, ranging from feminists to Marxists to New Critics, have all tried to construct their own meanings from the pages of the book.
The novel does seem to invite a variety of interpretations. Its narrator even claims the meaning of the story "was not inside like a kernel but outside, enveloping the tale which brought it out only as a glow brings out a haze, in the likeness of one of these misty halos that sometimes are made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
Perhaps, as you have read Heart of Darkness, you too have felt a sense of "brooding gloom," and have felt that the meaning of the story is very hazy. In this critical paper, you will be exploring various approaches to the novel that may shed light on this elusive masterpiece.
1. You are to become familiar with one of the following types of criticism. Each is a different way of looking at literary works. After you have familiarized yourself with the different types, select one that you find interesting on which to base your paper.
The following site is a good one from looking at several kinds of criticism. You may use it as one of your sources.
This site is from a professor at Ole Miss and is a good site for looking at several kinds of criticism:
Psychoanalytical Criticism or Freudian Criticism
Reader Response Criticism
In addition to the above sources, you may use the databases on the library website - Gale and Ebsco. You may also use other web sources, in addition to critical books that you may find in the reference section of the library.
The first part of your paper will be an explanation of your chosen type of criticism with appropriate parenthetical documentation.
2. You are then to read each of the following four passages from the novel Heart of Darkness and use your critical approach to interpret these passages. Ask yourself the question, "How would this type of critic read this passage? What particular slant would he or she put on the text, and what would he or she find important or significant, what less important or less significant?" You are to create a critical commentary on the novel from your critical slant on these four important texts.
Passage One http://faculty.gvsu.edu/rozemar/hod/outcen.htm
Passage Two http://faculty.gvsu.edu/rozemar/hod/cencen.htm
Passage Three http://faculty.gvsu.edu/rozemar/hod/incen.htm
Passage Four http://faculty.gvsu.edu/rozemar/hod/docks.htm
3. Finally, you are to comment on the strengths and/or weaknesses of reading literature in general, and Heart of Darkness in particular, through the lens of this critical approach.
- Your paper must be 3-5 pages typed, double-spaced.
- You must consult at least three sources including the novel itself.
- You must have a title page, a paper, and a works cited page.
- You must include appropriate parenthetical documentation.